Friday, March 15, 2019

Why I shouldn't be allowed to cook...

Today was a good research day for me. We stopped by a university and I talked to our guide about Moroccan education. He said that it is pretty similar to education in the United States since it covers all the fundamental subjects throughout primary and secondary school. However, college (or “university” as they call it) is a bit different. Student usually choose a specific career path and either attend vocational school or travel elsewhere to attend university. I thought it was pretty interesting how much Morocco has improved their technology and how students now have access to better education. When we get back to the states I’d like to research more about the quality of education in Morocco compared to the US.



My favorite thing about today was walking through the markets and seeing all of the cool foods that they sell. Today we are making our own dinner so we had to get all the ingredients fresh from the market. Once we got to the restaurant, I soon realized that I have absolutely no chance of becoming a chef when I get older. First, I accidentally cut the vegetables when I was supposed to grate them, so not only did I waste a bunch of food but I also got shamed in Arabic. I’m pretty sure the cooking staff thought I was incompetent at performing any task. Even when I attempted to grate the vegetables, one of the ladies kept shaking her head and taking the food away from me so she could do it herself. I just stood there and watched, feeling very useless. It’s okay because Ms. Ducharme felt the same way so we just sat there laughing at ourselves. On the bright side, I now know that I should NOT, under any circumstances, become a chef. Anyways, the food that everyone else made was so delicious and it was one of the best meals I’ve had to far. We all were sitting together, laughing and cracking jokes, which made tonight so awesome. I’m definitely bummed that our trip is coming to a close, but it was nice to enjoy the last few days here. I’m excited about returning to Rabat, not only for my research purposes but also because I’m sure our last full day will be a great one.

~ AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment