Saturday, March 9, 2019

The Accidental Henna Tattoo

            Today was definitely what you could consider a traveling day! I began packing yesterday around 1PM with the attempt to leave my house around 2PM and get to the front circle around 2:20PM. From there we all loaded the bus and made our way to Logan for our 8:15PM flight. The plane ride was not as bad as I anticipated! Compared to my 16 hour plane ride to South Africa, it was pretty much a breeze.
       I do have to say the last plane ride was a little bumpy, and turbulence is something I don’t necessarily do well with. Before our attempted landing I actually had to turn to Liam and ask for a plastic bag, you know just in case of an emergency. We all got off the plane safe and met up with our tour guide who preceded to take us to some destinations around Rabat.

       My first impression of Morocco didn’t match my original expectations. It was more modern and lively than photos I observed in class. For some reason it gave off more of a ‘touristy vibe’ which was somewhat shocking.

      Our first destination was the Hassan II Tower. As a group we walked around observing the many staggered pillars and beautiful architecture. We even got to go inside the mausoleum to observe the amazing artistry (photo is attached below). Our tour guide talked a lot about the history of Morocco, more specifically about the ethnic  groups and some of the background on the surrounding Mosques and structural buildings.
      We then made our way to the more touristy section of Rabat. As a group we walked through this beautiful garden that was placed perfectly within the blue buildings. This was by far my favorite place of the day and the only place where I unknowingly got stopped by a woman who decided to give me henna.
      Overall, travel days aren’t usually the best but this one served some purpose. Although my exhaustion got the best of me it was cool to dive into the day and fully engage in some of the Moroccan culture.
- Madi


No comments:

Post a Comment